Pages

Our Motto:

The Connecticut Catholic Corner Motto: Romans 14:16 "Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil."

All articles owned by Connecticut Catholic Corner

© 2007-2023 All articles owned by Connecticut Catholic Corner *except EWTN press releases(see sidebar)*

***FYI: Comments***

Due to continued problems with Disqus I have removed them from this blog- in doing so comments from 2018-2020 have disappeared from my blog posts.

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Palm Sunday reflection...the last breath of Christ

No matter how many times you read or hear the scriptures read, there is I think (for most of us) a certain Scripture verse that just hits us every time we read it or hear it.

For me, one such verse was in today's Gospel reading...
                       "Jesus gave a loud cry and breathed his last."
                    [Here all kneel and pause for a short time.]

Jesus' last breath...

Can you imagine that exact moment?

What do you imagine reading/hearing that?

My first thought is that, THAT final sigh of breath must have been the loudest sound heard at that moment.  I imagine even the wind stopped blowing for a moment at the horror of what had just occurred.  The only sound echoing in everyone's ears is the last breath of Christ crucified.

My second thought is of Mary.  She was the first to hear Jesus take his first breath at birth and now she was witness to his last on the cross at his death.

In that moment, I imagine nothing else could be heard- as if the entire world stood still to hear God Incarnate's last breath escape him.

And then the roar of the curtain being torn from top to bottom, the earthquake ripping across the land must have made a horrible sound- but I bet nothing compared to the sound of Christ's last breath on that cross.  How could it?

No matter how many times I read or hear that verse read it always strikes me with awe and horror and a profound love for our Lord Jesus Christ.



In Christ,


Julie @ Connecticut Catholic Corner



No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a Catholic blog, please keep your comments respectful to my Faith even when you disagree.

Profanity will not be tolerated - it will be DELETED, so do not waste your time or mine.

Thank you and God bless...

Julie @ Connecticut Catholic Corner

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...